Alcoholism is a physical and psychological dependence, which is characterized by memory impairments, behavioral problems, pathologies of internal organs resulting from the systematic use of alcohol. Therefore, many people are interested in how to quit drinking alcohol on their own. In such a situation, you will need to completely change your lifestyle.
Reasons for addiction
Before you quit drinking on your own, you need to determine the causes of the bad habit. The main factors include the following:
- Psychological factors. The cause of alcoholism can be difficulties in adapting to life circumstances, weakness of will, lack of self-confidence. Often the cause of problems is a tendency to depressive states and personal problems.
- Social factors. The negative impact of advertising, national traditions, family habits, lack of good work can push a person to abuse alcohol.
- Difficulties in work or personal life. In such a situation, a person tries to cope with stress with the help of alcohol.
- Physiological factors or hereditary tendencies.
Biochemical processes can cause problems. Not everyone is addicted to alcohol. To a greater extent, people who have mental disorders or traumatic brain damage are susceptible to it. Sometimes the problem is caused by a genetic predisposition.
For the treatment of alcoholism at home to be as effective as possible, the patient must be aware of the problems. Without the patient's desire, no technique will give the desired results.
Evidence that a person has developed alcohol dependence are the following alarming symptoms:
- A gradual increase in the number of holidays celebrated with alcohol. If earlier a person was waiting for his birthday or New Year, now he is specifically looking for a reason to drink alcohol.
- Change your social circle. If earlier a person chose friends based on common interests, then with the advent of alcohol addiction, he is looking for drinking friends.
- Compounding negative characteristics. Alcoholics have problems communicating with colleagues, friends, relatives. Often such people become nervous, aggressive and irritable. The mood improves only after drinking alcohol.
- Loss of control over the volume of alcohol. If earlier it was easy for a person to stop, now there are difficulties with this.
- Health disorders. Excessive alcohol consumption leads to very sad consequences. A person has pain in the right side, sleep disturbances, problems with erection, tremors of the hands.
Popular myths about alcohol
In order to quit drinking at home, you need to acknowledge the addiction. However, many people ignore the presence of problems.
There are several common myths about alcoholic beverages:
- The desire to drink alcohol is always justified by the presence of some kind of holiday. However, you can celebrate it without alcohol.
- Many people believe alcohol can help relieve shyness. However, this is just self-hypnosis. The psychological barrier can be removed only for a short period of time. This is followed by a stage of inappropriate behavior that can cause shame.
- Some people believe that drinking can help them deal with stress or deal with personal issues. This is also nothing more than a myth.
- Alcoholism often begins with the daily consumption of 50 g of alcohol. However, today, doctors are questioning even the benefits of red wine. The daily ingestion of alcohol into the body provokes irreversible consequences for the brain and liver.
- Many alcoholics drink because they are helpless, because they believe they cannot do anything about it. This is another common misconception.
The key to successful therapy
How to stop drinking alcohol at home? This is a difficult task, but it can be done. To do this, certain conditions must be met:
- Preparing to find an easy way to deal with addiction is nearly impossible. It is impossible to independently eliminate complex forms of alcoholism with the development of physiological pathologies and mental disorders.
- It is imperative to realize the need to combat addiction. If this is not done, all treatments will fail.
- Be patient and enlist the support of loved ones. The main task of others should be to maximize the protection of a person from situations that can cause breakdowns. If a person does not have willpower, it is necessary to constantly monitor his behavior and monitor his social circle.
To answer the question of how to get rid of alcohol addiction on your own, you need to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Stop communicating with people who are alcohol dependent. You should not visit drinking companies. It is important to learn to say "no" in such situations. In reality it is not very difficult.
- Get plenty of rest. Healthy sleep is the key to excellent health and excellent working capacity. In such a situation, a person gets much less tired, and therefore he does not have an obsessive desire to drink.
- Go in for sports. To cope with addiction, you need to find another source of pleasure. The hormone of happiness is produced during exercise.
- Find ways to deal with stress. Alcohol problems often occur in people who suffer from chronic fatigue and try to calm their nerves with alcohol. To cope with addiction, you need to find a source of pleasure - for this you can be like massage, yoga or boxing.
If a person has decided to get rid of addiction, but he does not have sufficient willpower, he has to resort to additional means.They cause aversion to alcohol and help to restore the functioning of internal organs, which suffer from the toxic effects of alcohol.
All alcohol dependence treatment methods fall into 2 broad categories:
- Folk recipes - you can use them yourself. Such remedies help to cope with alcohol cravings without the help of a doctor.
- Conservative therapy - carried out at more serious stages of the disease. Medicines must be used under the supervision of a specialist.
Treatment of alcoholism with medicines at home should be complex and solve the following problems:
- Elimination of alcohol addiction. For this, special tablets are used. They contain substances that change the body's response to alcohol.
- Means for eliminating withdrawal symptoms.
- Medicines for the elimination of mental disorders that occur against the background of alcoholism.
- Means for ethanol neutralization, which cope with the negative effects of the substance on the body.
It is quite problematic to choose such tools on your own. This should be done by a qualified doctor.
Medications to ease alcohol cravings
Home alcohol addiction pills help alter the body's response to ethanol. Such funds can lead to complete intolerance to alcohol or the elimination of the state of euphoria when drinking alcohol.
Products based on substances that prevent pleasure from alcoholic intoxication have a milder effect. Even if a person continues to drink, the state of euphoria does not occur.
This results in less alcohol cravings. However, the use of such a substance gives a result only if the person wants to give up the addiction.
These products can be taken at home, but should be prescribed by an experienced doctor. These drugs have many contraindications. These include the acute form of hepatitis, the presence of withdrawal symptoms, liver failure.
In addition, it is strictly forbidden to combine such drugs with any opiate. This combination is fraught with respiratory arrest. Therefore, the use of drugs from this category without the knowledge of the patient is strictly prohibited.
Drugs for the development of alcohol intolerance
The main active ingredient of such drugs is the main component of many injections, which are used to code from alcohol.
Such funds provoke a complete intolerance to alcoholic beverages.Even a small amount of a low alcohol drink causes serious symptoms of intoxication - nausea, dizziness, vomiting. If a person drinks 50 g of a drink with a strength of 40 degrees, this amount can become fatal.
Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to treat yourself with such means. They are used by specialists in a hospital setting. The patient must be informed about the possible consequences of alcohol consumption. An alcohol test is also performed. To do this, a person is given a microscopic dose of alcohol so that he can be convinced of the consequences it will cause.
In addition, doctors must necessarily assess the patient's health. Any such tool has many limitations. These include liver failure, diabetes mellitus, and seizures. Such funds should not be used during pregnancy and lactation.
In addition to fixed assets, the following drugs for alcoholism are used at home:
- Metabotropic medicines. They help speed up metabolic processes and help reduce the degree of intoxication. One of the effective remedies is a medicine that significantly reduces the duration and intensity of the effects of alcohol on the body. The only limitation to its use is allergies.
- Psychotropic substances. These medications affect the nervous system and reduce alcohol cravings. Usually, doctors prescribe tranquilizers. In addition, antidepressants can be used. However, such funds provoke a lot of adverse reactions, therefore they are selected exclusively by a doctor.
- Vitamins and remedies to combat concomitant disorders. With pathologies of the heart or liver, appropriate medications are required.
Thanks to the complex therapy, it is possible to speed up the recovery process and quickly cope with alcohol dependence.
Removal from hard drinking at home can be carried out using folk remedies. However, such prescriptions do not always work well with medications and can provoke severe side effects. It is strictly forbidden to treat alcoholism in pregnant and lactating women in this way. Before using any product, you need to consult a doctor.
The most effective substances include the following:
- Thyme. This plant has a calming effect, has a diuretic and analgesic effect, eliminates headaches and discomfort in the liver. The composition contains essential oils, therefore, the agent is used in infusions in a small amount. If you increase the amount, and after half an hour drink an alcoholic drink, the gag reflex will work. To eliminate dependence, it is enough to carry out the procedure several times. However, the method gives results only at the initial stages of pathology.
- Lovage. It is recommended to use no more than 1 tablespoon of the decoction of this plant per day. The product can be added to food. After drinking alcohol, it provokes a gag reflex. To get a useful tincture, the leaves of the plant need to be infused with vodka for 2 weeks. You can also add bay leaves to the composition.
- Bay leaf. The roots and leaves of this plant must be infused with vodka. It is also worth adding peeled seeds there. However, it should be borne in mind that a large amount of the drug provokes bleeding and inflammation.
- Puppeteer. Another effective treatment for addiction. However, it is forbidden to mix it or drink it with vodka. After drinking the infusion, time should pass. This plant has a general toxic effect that lasts for several hours or days.
- Pumpkin seeds. To cope with addiction, you need to take a glass of raw materials, add vodka and leave for 2 weeks. You need to drink the finished tincture. As a result, abnormalities in the work of the stomach and vomiting will appear. The craving for alcohol will disappear.
Now you know how to cure alcoholism at home. For this, you can use medications and folk recipes. However, the basis for successful therapy is the patient's desire to cope with addiction.