Alcohol addiction is a serious illness that suppresses the will and disturbs the human psyche. Therefore, drunkards should be treated like sick people and nothing else. It is necessary to remember that it will not work to stop the alcoholic with scandals, persuasions and tantrums. This can be done only at the cost of great effort and self-control. When taking action, the wife must be ready for a tough fight, as it is not easy to get the husband to stop drinking
When it comes to female alcoholism, the situation is even worse. Husbands, children, relatives of alcoholics should understand that it is much more difficult to persuade a woman than a man. As a rule, the addict categorically denies having a problem, considers herself perfectly healthy and does not want to change anything. Treatment seems to her pointless, and she considers all the persuasion and advice of relatives to be a personal insult.
Important! This article will discuss how to get a person to quit drinking without going to court or a mental hospital. If a drunkard has signs of mental disorders or poses a threat to others, it is necessary to seek outside help as soon as possible.
How to talk to an alcoholic
It is very difficult to force an alcoholic to turn to specialists, ordinary conversations or ultimatum demands cannot be dealt with here. You need to choose a certain manner of conversation, gain endurance and patience. For this, narcologists-psychotherapists recommend adhering to certain recommendations.
Wait for the "X" hour. It is useless to talk about treatment with a drunk person, because in such a state he is very pleased with his life and does not see real problems. In the morning after drinking, you should also not start a similar conversation, because in a hungover state, the alcoholic will agree with all the arguments and promise everything you want to hear from him.
It is also important what tone the conversation will be in. The main thing is to refuse accusations and reproaches, which will only aggravate the situation and subconsciously turn the patient against you. Do not raise your voice, it is better to speak calmly, because alcohol seriously disrupts the nervous system structures, so the conversation can easily develop into another scandal or, even worse, into physical violence from the side of the drinker.
How to influence an alcoholic
Convincing a drunkard that alcoholism is a problem not only for him, but also for the environment is not easy. To do this, relatives of the drunk will have to be patient, endurance, and also find an approach to figure out how to get a loved one to be treated for alcoholism.
It is impossible to persuade an alcoholic who is euphoric and satisfied with such a lifestyle to quickly stop drinking. It is inappropriate to conduct an educational conversation during a hangover syndrome. In such a state, the patient will not pay attention to persuasion, although he will make various promises in order to end the conversation as soon as possible and take a saving dose of alcohol.
It is better to start a conversation when a drunkard is faced with the negative consequences of "intoxicating" drinks. It could be:
- impregnated salary;
- wrecked car;
- dismissal from work;
- family problems.
You cannot succeed with accusations and reproaches. Thus, setting a drinking person on the path of correction will not work, even if you really want to. In order for the drunkard to pay attention to persuasion, here are some tips:
- one should talk with an alcoholic calmly, without raising the tone. It is undesirable to shout, since such actions on the part of loved ones can provoke an unpleasant reaction in the drunkard. This is explained by the fact that alcoholics have an unstable nervous system, and this is fraught with scandals or beatings;
- When talking with an addict, it is necessary to behave confidently and adamantly that you are right. This will enable the opponent to understand the seriousness of the situation and the firmness of the interlocutor's opinion;
- there is no need to cry and press on pity about a life that did not work out due to the fault of an alcoholic. These actions will also not bring positive results;
- no need to pressure the patient with empty threats. If you promise to do something if drunkenness continues, then you should definitely fulfill the ultimatum.
If one of the spouses drinks?
The tense situation in the family due to alcohol abuse by one of the spouses is not a reason for his forcible release from addiction.
This is prohibited by law and can cause significant harm to the health of an alcoholic, especially if, without his consent and prior consultation with a doctor, add drugs based on toxic disulfiram to food.
Wives or mothers of drunkards should not repeat the most common women's missteps:
- First of all, you need to realize that a drunkard cannot be trusted. His 100th promise to part with alcohol is a myth.
- It is impossible to threaten in an empty way, if your words are not supported by action, it is better just not to pronounce them. They convince the alcoholic of impunity.
- It is unacceptable to offend a spouse, you need to be able to awaken in him a sense of guilt at his next unreasonable trick (waste of money, late return home).
- Instead of unrealizable threats, you can cause fear of imminent death in a drunkard, pointing out the symptoms of his health, characteristic of the possible development of cirrhosis or cancer.
- It is necessary to stop protecting the drunkard from the censure of others, which will undoubtedly cause shame and a feeling of remorse.
- It is necessary to restrict the drinker's access to family money, not giving a penny for alcohol.
- Find out the very reason for drunkenness, especially when it comes to a woman. Without removing the trigger of addiction, you cannot get rid of it.
Motivation for a sober lifestyle
The hope of saving the family can convince an alcoholic to quit drinking.
To motivate an alcoholic to fight the green snake, it is necessary to convey to him all the benefits of a sober life, what benefits await him after quitting alcohol. There are different motivations.
You can focus on family well-being, because alcohol abuse almost always leads to the destruction of the family. The hope of saving the family can convince the alcoholic to stop drinking. Until alcohol dependence has reached a neglected degree, it is necessary to try to convey to the patient the need for treatment.
You can try talking about the drinker's health. Explain to him that you are seriously worried that you have noticed how bad his health has become. Without reproaches and swearing, it is necessary to explain that stomach and blood pressure problems, heart disorders - all this arose as a result of the abuse of alcoholic beverages.
If a person previously aspired to work and loved it, then you can try to put pressure on this factor. Drinkers always have problems with work, from simple dismissal to dismissal under the "alcoholic" article. If this happens, then it is almost impossible for a person to find a normal job. Remind gently what your spouse dreamed about when he wasn’t drinking, how he planned his career.
If there is no certain motivation, it is almost impossible to get an alcoholic to be treated. An addicted person should understand why he needs to part with addiction and what privileges this will give him. He should consciously want to quit for the sake of something important, and not do it at the whim of the family.
When talking with an alcoholic husband, you should try to convey the opinion that you are concerned about his deteriorating health. It is important to calmly explain that during the time of drunkenness, the alcoholic showed negative changes in appearance:
- cyanosis of the face,
- beer belly;
Alcoholics are also told about changes in character and behavior. You can compare the state of health of a drunkard at the time of a healthy lifestyle with the current state. Try with the patient to evaluate the changes that have occurred and to convince them of the usefulness of treating the disease.
Alcoholism is a destructive instrument of family relationships, which often leads to divorce. Until a drunkard or alcoholic has acquired an advanced stage of pathology, there is a chance to save the family. It is necessary to try to convince the drinker of the need for treatment if the drunkard stops performing seminal duties:
- passive in relation to the spouse;
- is not interested in children;
- does not care about the material well-being of the family;
- is aggressive.
Try to convince the patient that he is dear to the family. The main thing in this matter is to calmly, without reproach, convey the idea of the need for treatment.
Finding a new job in such a situation is not easy. Even if this succeeds, the work will be low-paid and unskilled. To help a drinking person in this case, it is necessary to persuade him to change his lifestyle, to give reasons how much his life has changed for the worse since the beginning of alcohol abuse. Without motivation, a drunkard cannot be easily persuaded to seek treatment. It is important that the drinker understands that this is exactly what he needs.
Can a person stop drinking on their own?
We would like to warn you: self-treatment for alcoholics is rarely effective. Sometimes with the help of character and will, this is possible if the dependence on alcohol has not reached the physical stage. The basis for giving up an addiction is the desire to save a family, get a job, a status in society, and another goal, the achievement of which will be a reward for the efforts made. As a help to yourself, it is worth starting to practice proper nutrition, jogging, weekly bath procedures.
To combat alcoholism, folk and medication methods of treatment are widely used. Both options have pros and cons. They are often practiced when it is impossible to convince a drinking guy, husband or son of the harmfulness of the habit. There are pharmacological and folk drugs that cause extreme aversion to alcohol. They are harmless, do not cause addiction or rejection of the body. They contain substances that are completely incompatible with alcohol. They are added to the drink or food of the drinking person.
After drinking alcohol-containing drinks, they cause an unpleasant reaction of the body: vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. The most common folk remedies are:
- thyme broth;
- ram broth;
- St. John's wort decoction.
An interesting method of covert persuasion to stop drinking has existed in ancient times - the dung mushroom. The mushroom contains a substance that stops the conversion of ethyl alcohol to acetaldehyde. If you eat a mushroom, then drink alcohol, then a person will have symptoms of severe poisoning. Our grandmothers in this way imperceptibly weaned their husbands from alcohol. But in modern realities, it is better not to use such a method, especially since medicine has made great strides forward.
How to get an alcoholic to heal - the right motivation
In order to convince an alcoholic to be treated, communication tactics should be developed:
- stop feeling sorry for and covering up the drinker. One should not expect the alcoholic to stop drinking himself. This approach of the nanny, who solves problems for him, is beneficial for the alcoholic; as a result, he will not stop drinking, but he will get rid of everyday worries;
- you cannot constantly make trouble with a drunkard, so as not to push him to a cheerful lifestyle. It should be understood that hysteria and unnecessary discussions about the use of alcohol will aggravate the problem, since after the next scandal the drunkard will strive even more for the bottle;
- in dealing with a dependent person observe calmness and equanimity. In moments of enlightenment, the alcoholic talks about healing from a bad habit and about rehabilitation. It is permissible to call a narcologist at home;
- you need to support the drinking person's desire for sobriety, demonstrate the delights of healing, try to find hobbies for him, new goals in life.
Only some cases can be an exception in this order:
- the patient is dangerous for himself and others;
- the alcoholic has lost the ability to take care of himself;
- the drunkard's mental state is grave, without medical intervention he will die.
Many people are interested in the question of whether it is really possible to save a loved one from addiction. After compulsory hospitalization for the patient, measures are taken to block an attack of fever, after which the patient is discharged from the hospital and sent to the home. Practice shows that the patient, even after the severe consequences of drinking, will again take up the old.
It is worth noting that it is impossible to cure a sick alcoholic secretly from him. Often, close people of the patient resort to the help of healers, psychics and other unconventional methods. Any means and actions for the recovery of an alcoholic without his consent are not only useless, but also deadly.
In addition, the doctor will conduct an examination. The development of a strategy for comprehensive healing of the patient will allow you to purposefully move towards the goal. It will not be possible to cure a drunkard in one session or medical manipulation. In this matter, it is required, first of all, to establish the reason that provoked the impetus to alcohol abuse.
How should one behave properly with an alcoholic in order for him to agree to therapy?
If a person denies his addiction to the "green serpent", he needs to be convinced of the opposite. How to persuade an alcoholic to be treated so that he clearly understands the existing problem? To do this, you need to seriously talk to him, and the conversation should be conducted with a sober person. What you need to pay attention to:
- People who drink often have memory problems. It is worth remembering the unpleasant incidents in life that he forgot.
- The desire to take a sip in an alcoholic arises quite often and for no reason. It is necessary to explain to him that for ordinary people, troubles at work or at home will not cause a binge.
- It is worth finding out what sensations an alcoholic has on a sober head. Frustration and emptiness are some of the hallmarks of addiction. He needs to be clearly aware of this.
- Alcohol addicts lose control and often do not know the norm. Because of this, a person regularly goes into binge.
The conversation must take place once. It is advisable to do this when the alcoholic is in the mood for a conversation. For example, the day before he screwed up something and was guilty. Each argument should be made with great confidence. You cannot speak in a raised voice, press on pity, resort to threats.
The alcoholic often behaves inappropriately during periods of intoxication. Moreover, such cases are completely forgotten and "thrown out" from memory. In order for him to see himself from the side in these moments, video evidence can be filmed. The drinker will not like what he saw, he must draw conclusions and agree to treatment.
How to behave to tune a drunkard to treatment:
- do not issue threats that you are unable to fulfill;
- hint at how bad your loved one’s behavior is when he’s drunk;
- always show confidence in his ability to stop drinking;
- let's understand to a loved one that the disease is to blame, which can and should be fought;
- do not deal with the alcoholic's drinking problem.
Tell us how hard it is to see a person drunk, how unpleasant it is to listen to strangers telling about the antics of an alcoholic. He must realize that close people suffer from his addiction.
Any problems arising from drunkenness must be corrected by the alcoholic himself. Payment of debts made during a binge, reconciliation with relatives, showdowns with the boss - all this is decided by the culprit himself.
Any good reason for quitting addiction can be made. Family happiness is a strong argument for starting treatment.
Recently, many experts have come to the conclusion that alcoholism is a disease. How to argue this statement and convince to start treatment:
- Diagnostics. Any ailment has symptoms, including alcoholism. It is expressed in an irresistible craving for alcohol, changes in behavior, denial of craving for strong drinks.
- Chemical addiction. Because of her, a person begins to abuse alcohol. Everyone has problems in the family and at work, but only dependent people get drunk because of this.
- Disease progression. The development of alcoholism follows a predictable scenario. In the end, a person finally degrades.
- Alcoholism is a chronic disease. Therefore, a person who has not consumed alcohol for years breaks down from one glass of vodka.
- The consequence is death. If treatment is not started on time, the patient will die before the prescribed time. The cause is usually concomitant diseases: cirrhosis, heart attack, cardiomyopathy and other ailments.
Treating alcoholism takes a long time. You need to be patient and not give up under any circumstances. Some settle for coding, which helps many addicts. The main thing is that a person understands a simple truth - he is absolutely prohibited from drinking alcoholic beverages. It is an addiction that comes back even after a few grams of alcohol. Therefore, for such people, sobriety should become the norm.
How to find the cause of alcoholism
Treatment of alcohol addiction will be meaningless in 2 cases: if a person is satisfied with everything and he wants to drink further, or he has a good reason to seek solace in alcoholic beverages. If the provoking factor is eliminated, it will be much easier to cure an alcoholic. It is possible that he will quit drinking without coding.
Often the causes of chronic drunkenness are quite obvious, so they can be identified without much difficulty. As a rule, the alcoholic himself calls them in the course of a confidential conversation. If you cannot ask him on your own, then this can be done with the help of a psychologist. The specialist will find out why a person is dissatisfied with his life, and will give the necessary advice.
The most common causes of alcoholism:
- uninteresting, boring work or excess free time;
- constant drinking with friends, relatives or colleagues, gradually developing into dependence on alcohol;
- unsettled personal life, quarrels in the family, recent breakdown of relationships, betrayal or loss of a loved one;
- lack of work or housing, poverty, unsettled life, a sense of hopelessness;
- the presence of severe chronic or fatal diseases, the desire to relieve pain with alcohol;
- burdened heredity, predisposition to alcoholism.
Methods to help return an alcoholic to a normal life
If you managed to persuade an alcohol addict for treatment, you should immediately carry out the following steps of the planned plan. As soon as the patient has agreed, you need to go to an appointment with a narcologist so that the specialist will prescribe the therapy necessary in this situation. To exclude breakdowns, remove any alcohol from the house, and also exclude possible meetings of the drunk with the former drinking companions.
It was smooth on paper, so do not think that you will be able to get your negligent alcoholic husband to agree to treatment on the first try. This is a rather difficult task that requires a lot of patience, and somewhere even a woman's cunning and ingenuity. But when the result is achieved, your life will change dramatically, which will be a worthy reward for your efforts.
There are a number of clinics that can forcibly hospitalize a patient by court order. The therapy process itself is divided into several stages:
- Motivational conversation with a psychologist. In some cases, this measure helps the person to become aware of the addiction and agree to voluntary treatment.
- Forced hospitalization in an inpatient department.
- Detoxification procedure.
- Rehabilitation (includes medication coding, psychological support, hospitalization).
- Social adaptation. Helping a former alcoholic in finding a job, learning a new profession, psychological support.
- Working with relatives. This includes explanatory conversations, participation in self-help groups, personal consultations with a psychologist.
The best solution is to take the drunkard to a specialized paid clinic where compulsory treatment services are provided. The disadvantage of this method is that keeping an alcoholic in a clinic for a long time requires large financial investments. So, a day in the hospital will be expensive. The price depends on the region and the class of the hospital.
Another way is to place the patient in a psychiatric dispensary. This measure is considered extreme. You can go to a psychiatric clinic only by a court decision or a psychiatric team (experts on the spot decide on the need for urgent hospitalization). In the latter case, the presence of a police squad is mandatory - they will record the presence of a real threat to the health of the patient or those around them.
Some believe that it is possible to forcefully treat an alcoholic at home. Various herbal decoctions are considered especially effective - they reduce the craving for alcohol.
Here's one of the recipes. Take in equal proportions (10 g each) the following ingredients:
- Dried burdock and sorrel roots.
Put the herbs in an enamel bowl, pour a glass of boiling water, then heat for 15 minutes in a water bath. The resulting broth is filtered, drunk in small portions during the day. It is not recommended to prepare a drink for future use - it should always be freshly brewed. If you want to cure a person from drunkenness secretly, then you can add small portions of the infusion to alcoholic drinks.
You can also purchase a ready-made herbal mixture. It is famous for these properties:
- discourages the desire to drink alcohol;
- increases the protective functions of the body;
- stimulates the immune system;
- helps to eliminate toxins, cleanse the liver.
This drink is especially convenient because it is brewed and drunk like ordinary herbal tea in unlimited quantities all day.
If close people managed to influence an alcoholic to undergo a course of drug treatment and psychotherapy, it is important to decide on further actions. The main task at this moment is to consolidate motivation for a healthy lifestyle. Most addicted people see no point in being sober. Living the right way is intimidating because alcoholics don't know what to do next and how to enjoy life. To help such a person, close people should:
- be convinced that an alcoholic is an egoist with a weak will, an infantile person. Fulfilling the drunkard's desires just to keep him from drinking again is the wrong way. It is required to allow the patient to make decisions on their own, then he will be able to enjoy such an action;
- support the positives of a sober life, persuade the patient to write them down for daily motivation support;
- save the patient from the usual social circle, for which it is better to move to a new place of residence;
- keep the ex-alcoholic interested in a new hobby, don't let him have free time to reflect on a boring existence. To do this, change his job, carry him away with a hobby, sports.
Be consistent in your own campaigns and views.
- Show examples of important people in alcoholic society who have quit this addiction.
- Go together for a consultation with a psychotherapist and a narcologist.
- Adjust your personal situation in family life from sacrificial or overly controlling to the opposite.
Remember that only a well-built motivation of the addict for treatment and a sober lifestyle will help persuade the patient to compulsory treatment.