Living together with an alcoholic is far from what girls dream about when they fantasize about their wedding day. It is difficult to imagine that someone voluntarily wishes to live "happily ever after" with a person addicted to alcohol, endure his aggression or complaints about life, clean up after him, take care of him, feel disgust and shame for his behavior in front of neighbors, colleagues, friends andrelatives. It is not surprising that an alcoholic's marriage falls apart if nothing can make him overcome his desire to drink. There are, nevertheless, brave women who fight to the last for their family, applying a variety of measures to the drunkard, the purpose of which is the same - so that the husband does not drink, in order to discourage him from ruining his life (both his own and his relatives) with an addictionto intoxicated drinks.
The first thing to do is try to persuade him. If the desire to drink is connected with problems outside the family - with work, career, friends, and if alcoholism has not gone too far, he can easily stop, having met the support of his family.
A constructive dialogue should be started only after careful preparation and taking into account certain rules:
- you cannot talk to a person until he returns to an adequate state and becomes able to understand reasonable arguments;
- you should not try to convince an alcoholic while he is experiencing the "delights" of a hangover;
- it is undesirable to try to evoke pity or, on the contrary, to arrange scandals for a drinking person (even in a sober state), most often it is attention that is needed;
- you can threaten a drunkard, but it is important to prepare for the execution of this threat;
- Before starting a conversation, it is advisable to seek advice from a narcologist so that an alcoholic, if he has such a desire, can immediately go to the clinic for treatment.
If the wife manages to prove to the drinking husband the need to seek help, to convince him to at least try to change his life, this man will have a chance. This can also be helped by drawing up a so-called “motivation list”. You can work together to come up with a number of reasons why getting rid of alcoholism will be not only easy, but also beneficial. For example:
- to win the respect of your children;
- to save money on a major purchase or vacation trip for a month;
- to start learning something new instead of drunkenness or start building a career.
Reasons for each person can be individual. You can motivate for the sake of a hobby, for example, playing sports or fiddling with a car in the garage, the main thing is that he devotes all his free time to this and does not drink or be in bad company. You may need the help of a psychotherapist.
When persuasion goes unanswered
Conversations, convictions, pleading - in the majority of cases, this is not enough to awaken the conscience.Very rarely it is possible to prove to the drinker that his lifestyle is destructive, because even if he believes it, his own strength to fight alcohol dependence may not be enough. Instead, traditional medicines and folk remedies are the best remedy.
Industrial pharmacology medications are designed to create a feeling of aversion to alcohol in a drinking person, they can cause aversion to drinking, its appearance, taste and smell. It is enough to mix a similar drug to an alcoholic, add it to food or add to a drink, and if he additionally drank vodka or even beer, he will instantly feel bad. Drugs with such an effect contain an active substance (or disulfiram, or cyanamide), which interferes with the normal process of processing ethyl alcohol, provoke the accumulation of metabolic products in the blood and, as a result, persistent symptoms of intoxication and hangover. And a person who has become ill at least once after alcohol poisoning will have an aversion to alcohol for a long time. If you add a similar drug (Esperal tablets, Kolme drops and their analogues) to a drunkard, you can make him think twice before taking another dose of alcohol.
Once the drugs start working, another attempt can be made to persuade the alcoholic to undergo treatment by describing the benefits of treatment in a drug treatment clinic:
- constant monitoring of the state of health;
- psychological support, especially important for the prevention of relapse;
- qualified assistance with the restoration of internal organs damaged by abuse of ethyl alcohol.
Treatment in a hospital under the supervision of a narcologist is the best anti-alcohol therapy, which practically does not fail.
Alternative medicine against binge drinking is even more ingenious in how to get sick people to stop drinking. Traditional methods suggest preparing decoctions and infusions that act similarly to official medicines, they talk about completely original remedies:
- green bugs - you can throw 4 bugs into a glass of alcohol to cause an unpleasant smell and taste, and hence aversion to alcohol itself;
- pepper - you can convince a person to give up drinking with the help of a tincture (3 drops per 1 liter of alcohol), which is created from hot red pepper (crushed, 20 gr. ), filled with alcohol (500 ml), and infused for two weeks;
- birch smoke - you can ask to breathe over smoking birch logs, and then offer alcohol, after which you will develop a strong aversion to alcohol-containing products.
It is important to understand that treatment without the supervision of a specialist, even with traditional, albeit folk methods, should be carried out with extreme caution, otherwise a person may develop not only aversion to drinking and a desire not to drink anymore, but also serious health problems.
The final stage of the struggle
When all methods of struggle are exhausted, there is only one last resort left: to threaten the husband with parting if he does not stop drinking. At the same time, it is important for a drunkard's wife:
- be ready to carry out your threat without multiple warnings (1-2 times will be enough);
- to leave her husband in earnest, not to arouse pity and make him beg for forgiveness;
- not to believe promises, vows and tears;
- get down to business hard and quickly - if the house belongs to the drinking husband, you need to take out your things in his absence and leave with your children for a while;
- do not return to the drunk until he actually proves that he has begun to heal.
You should not return to your alcoholic husband if the situation with leaving and returning does not arise for the first time: sooner or later he will understand that his wife cannot actually leave him, no matter how drunk he is.
To get rid of alcohol in the house, not to allow drinking to take up a significant place in the feast, to “ward off” unreliable friends from the house. . . . All this is much easier to do than later “poisoning” your spouse with means that cause disgust for ethyl alcohol. A positive example is a good reason to be given so that no one in the family drinks.