According to the latest data, in one country half a million people die from alcoholism every year, which is much more than from natural disasters and epidemics. These shocking statistics indicate the need for early action. Many are aware of this, but only 1. 7% of people with alcoholism seek medical help. The rest do not want to be treated in specialized centers or try to stop drinking at home.
Methods for getting rid of alcohol addiction
For the treatment of alcoholism at home, special medicines, folk recipes, auto-training and other techniques are used. The main thing when choosing is to use only those methods that are characterized by minimal risk.
Taking medicines and folk remedies has the following goals:
- cleansing the body of toxic substances;
- elimination of the main symptoms that appear when quitting alcohol (headache, nausea, tremors, etc. );
- prevent relapse.
Traditional medicine has in its arsenal many recipes to help you stop drinking at home. They help cleanse the body of toxins, develop an aversion to alcoholic beverages and strengthen the immune system.
The following tools are commonly used:
- St. John's wort decoction. Dry grass (4 handfuls) is poured with 1 liter of boiling water, kept in a water bath for half an hour. Taken twice a day for two weeks;
- marigold broth with oats. Water (2 liters) is poured into a container and grains of unrefined oats are poured onto a third of the dishes, then boiled over low heat for 15–20 minutes. Calendula flowers (100 grams) are added to the strained broth. Then the container is well insulated and left for 11-12 hours. Drink the resulting drink once a day, 250 ml before eating;
- bearberry broth. Leaves (40 grams) are poured with water (1 cup) and boiled for 15 minutes. Take 20 ml 6 times a day;
- herbal infusion. Mix equal portions of dried herbs (chamomile or wormwood, thyme and centaury), pour boiling water and leave for 3 hours. The filtered infusion is taken at 40 milliliters 3 times a day.
Traditional healers may also suggest giving the patient decoctions, after the use of which vomiting and aversion to alcohol occurs:
- laurel roots and lovage are crushed and poured with vodka, infused for 14 days;
- European clefthoof leaves are poured with boiling water and left for 2 weeks in a dark place. The resulting tincture is mixed in equal proportions with vodka and given to the patient in the morning and at lunchtime, and in the evening he is poured with pure vodka.
The above decoctions should be used only after consulting a doctor, as there may be contraindications to taking some herbs. If you do not take them into account, you can harm the body instead of benefit.
In order for folk remedies to have the desired effect, you will have to drink them for a long time (at least 2 months). It is also recommended to do cleansing enemas, drink more water and take more baths.
You shouldn't choose your own medicines, for this you need to contact a narcologist. He will prescribe a suitable remedy, taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism.
Typically, those looking to quit drinking may recommend:
- enterosorbents (to remove residues of ethyl alcohol and its decay products from the intestines);
- diuretics (to cleanse the body);
- antihypertensive drugs (with increased pressure);
- analeptics (in case of pain in the region of the heart);
- sleeping pills (for insomnia).
Drinking pleasure-blocking agents can be used to stop drinking. As a result, relaxation and euphoria does not occur, but only negative consequences remain, which gradually weakens the craving for alcohol. A special group of medicines causes aversion to alcohol. Such drugs do not work for long, which is why they are taken for long courses. The need for admission is determined by the doctor.
Currently, you can find recommendations on the Internet for conducting a hypnosis session at home. This method does not require much time (5–10 minutes a day is enough) and money costs. The dependent person should not know about him. The disadvantage of this method is that it takes a very long time to influence the psyche (several months, and in some cases even a year). To save time and prevent negative influences, it is better to give preference to medical care when using an amateur approach.
In general, there are some rules to follow when hypnosis at home:
- the session is carried out in a deep phase of sleep (during this time the body rests, and the brain remains active and receptive to signals);
- when the patient falls asleep, you should stand near the head of the bed and repeat prepared phrases motivating to quit drinking in a voice with appropriate intonations;
- the text should contain a statement to refuse alcohol in an affirmative form (for example: "alcohol makes you disgusted");
- you cannot use the "not" particle, since the result will be the opposite (the human consciousness does not perceive the negative particle);
- you must not resort to the incentive form ("give up alcohol"), you need to replace it with confirmation of the result obtained ("you easily give up alcohol");
- believe the result.
Disadvantages of home therapy
It is difficult to quit drinking at home, and it is important to follow a number of rules.
- The effect of measures is possible if the disease is at an early stage. In advanced stages, physical and psychological disorders are observed, which only a specialist can cope with.
- The patient should want to get rid of the bad habit himself. Forcibly, a person will not be able to quit drinking. In this case, only a temporary effect is possible.
- It will be necessary to create the most comfortable conditions by protecting the patient from stressful situations, which often provoke breakdowns, and providing support.
- You will need to give up alcohol entirely.
Still, the fight against alcohol at home rarely ends with 100% success. This situation is caused by the following reasons:
- lack of the necessary qualifications and sufficient experience that doctors have;
- there is a high risk of breakdown;
- there is no persistent motivation in an addicted person (in the clinic it is better to understand the danger of alcohol and the need to quit a bad habit);
- there is a lack of psychological support (even if the patient's relatives sincerely try to help him, they cannot instill in him the belief that he will be able to quit drinking. Only a psychotherapist can instill such confidence in his consciousness).
Besides, they often become alcoholics in order to distract themselves from the surrounding reality and forget about problems. In such cases, it is necessary to find out the cause of alcohol addiction and eliminate it, which is available only to a specialist.
Since you need to stop drinking abruptly, another problem of treatment at home is the impossibility of full help in case of alcohol intoxication. These negative consequences include:
- high blood pressure;
- heart rhythm disorder;
- heart failure;
- malfunctions of the digestive system;
- delirium tremens (in severely advanced cases).
A specialist will prescribe detoxification therapy in such cases.
It is not worth risking the health of a loved one. Helping to stop drinking means going to a specialized clinic, where the patient will be provided with qualified medical care.